Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My Life, His Canvas

Happy New Year!  I almost cannot believe that it has been an entire year since I have graduated college (really starting to feel old!).  When you stop and really think, it is almost scary how quickly 2013 came and went, and how easily this next year can slip through our fingers if we aren't careful.  As we usher in 2014, I would like to make a challenge for each of you as opposed to the usual "New Year's Resolution".  I challenge you to ask God for a new set of spiritual contacts.  You may think that sounds a little funny, but let me explain myself.

While in Mozambique, I lived on the Iris missionary base in the city of Pemba.  Here is a picture of a VERY small portion of the village lying just outside of the city.


As you can see, the village goes right up to the edge of one of the most beautiful oceans.  The Iris base was even closer.  The house I lived in was a mere football field from the beach...which is enough to spoil any true Ohio girl. ;)  Here is another picture of just how gorgeous the Indian Ocean really is. (And how beautiful the children of Africa are.)


Right smack dab in the middle of the Iris base was a beautiful African-style hut that we used as a prayer hut.  It was elevated on a hill so that you had a perfect view of the rest of the base, and most importantly, the ocean.  The prayer hut was one of the only good pieces of shade to be found, which is the closest thing you'll ever get to air-conditioning in Africa, but that was not the reason I loved it.  Since the sun rises at about 4:30 every day, I would wake up around 5:30 and head right on up to the prayer hut for some quiet time with Jesus.  My mornings with the Lord quickly became my favorite part of every day.  One particular morning I decided I wanted to see the sunrise from the prayer hut, so I set my alarm for 3:50 and walked up in the cool morning. 

I sat down on the stairs of the prayer hut and waited.  As the sun began to rise, I noticed a huge wall of clouds blocking the sun from my view.  So the sky got lighter and lighter but there was still no sun to be seen.  I was instantly upset, thinking that the clouds were blocking my view of the sun on this morning I had gotten up so early.  Then slowly God began to change the way I was thinking.  He opened my eyes to something I had never thought of before.  Here is a little section from my journal that sums it up pretty well:

"The sunrise this morning is beautiful Jesus.  Unfortunately, much of its splendor and beauty is blocked by the clouds.  Something I noticed, however, was how the clouds served as a kind of canvas to display the beauty of the sunrise.  While I can't see the sun, I know it's there because I can see how it shines in, around, and through the clouds.  And the sun's rays reflect beautifully off the clouds in hues of gold, orange, pink, red, and yellow.  It is the same with me God.  It is the clouds in my life that truly show Your goodness, love, and mercy.  You shine on the parts of me that are impure and broken, and You are glorified in my weakness.

That comparison is so encouraging to me God because I have a LOT of weaknesses.  Please take them from me and shine through them that You may have ALL the glory.  Take my strengths too.  Just take it all..."

So let me ask you: what would a sunrise be without the clouds to display the many beautiful colors of the sun?  Similarly, what would a life be without the trials (clouds) to display the many glories of our God and King!  Thank you God that we go through both good and bad times that sharpen us and shape us to Your will, and thank you that you make us beautiful through it all. 

Now back to the challenge...I pray that God gives each of you new spiritual contacts, or a new perspective so that you may see your life as He sees it: cloudy, but so beautifully reflecting His son! You see just as the clouds are there to show the sun's beauty, so also our lives are to serve as a canvas for the Creator of the Universe.  And in case you didn't know, God is a Master Artist who loves to create masterpieces.  WOW!  What a cool thought.  I hope that this has made sense to you in some way, because it was one of the biggest ways in which God worked on my heart during my time in Africa.  God bless you and I pray you have a year of fruitful harvest! 



Picture of a beautiful African sunrise.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Young lady, you are wise beyond your years. Thank you so much for your sweet encouragement. Oh, I do pray for those new spiritual contacts. I also pray for the divine appointments that will come throughout 2014. Who is it that God wants me to meet and share with -that person that only I can reach in that moments? We serve an awesome God who loves people so much that He wants us all.

    ReplyDelete